Category: Mechanical / Technical
Job type: Full Time
Salary: $130k ~ $149k
Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Enjoy a relaxed coastal lifestyle with endless opportunities for camping, fishing and boating!
- Generous subsided housing and utilities in family friendly Gove, Northern Territory
- We offer paid parental leave entitlements and flexible work arrangements
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer to provide technical support for Rio Tinto Gove Operations (RTGO) to ensure that work carried out meet HSEC procedures, statutory regulations and comply with internal, Rio Tinto group & national standards, policies, procedures, regulations and legislations. This role is a great opportunity for an autonomous safety focused individual who can trouble shoot and identify opportunities for improvement.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining.
We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills
Reporting to the Engineering Superintendent and working in a collaborative, exciting environment within the Asset Management team you will:
- Provide mechanical engineering support to the materials handling, utilities, town, waste water neutralisation and residue disposal operations.
- Participate in defect elimination activities, recommend repairs and modifications for equipment.
- Review and maintain standards for design, construction and maintenance activities.
- Update technical documents and review structural, mechanical and piping drawings.
- Review inspection reports, perform fitness for service assessments, recommend/ develop repair work specifications and recommend maintenance strategies.
- Lead the mechanical and structural engineering team.
- Review and approve excavation permits.
- Facilitate and participate in risk assessments.
- Provide technical guidance for the Capital and Closure project teams.
What you’ll bring
- Strong safety focus with familiarity with Australian and international engineering standards.
- Degree qualification in Mechanical Engineering, eligible for membership of Engineers Australia with a solid background as a Mechanical Engineer in mining or processing industries.
- Experience in bulk handling equipment including crushing, screening, belt conveyor, stackers, reclaimers and ship loaders.
- Good understanding of tank (API 650), piping (AS 4041), cranes (AS 2550 series) and lifting device (AS 4991) standards.
- Familiarity with structural standards (e.g. AS 1170 series, AS 4100 &/or AS 3990).
- Ability to identify defects, trouble shoot and communicate effectively.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Working knowledge of SAP.
- Project engineering experience.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Our Gove Operations have been supplying the global aluminium industry with world-class bauxite for more than 40 years. Located in Australia’s Northern Territory, each year the operation produces approximately 12 million tonnes of bauxite.
With a workforce of 460 people, daily activities include mine operations, maintenance, asset management, shutdown planning and execution, export operations, cultural heritage management, and closure activities following our decision to close the site’s alumina refinery and associated Residue Disposal Area in 2017.
We expect our bauxite mining operations on the Gove Peninsula will cease in 2030 and we are undertaking significant work to support closure of the operation. We also recognise our operations take place on Indigenous-owned land, and we are committed to working together to achieve a positive future for Nhulunbuy and the Gove Peninsula post-mining.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Closing date Sunday 27th March
“Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible.”
Click to apply for free candidate
💸 $40k ~ $51k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Newcastle, New South Wales
💸 $40 - $45/hr⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Newcastle, New South Wales
💸 $120k ~ $139k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Adelaide, South Australia
💸 $40k ~ $60k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Launceston, Tasmania
💸 $84k ~ $100k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Hobart, Tasmania
💸 $70k - $74k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Wollongong, New South Wales
💸 $45k ~ $54k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Maitland, New South Wales
💸 $50k ~ $70k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
💸 $50k ~ $70k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Adelaide, South Australia
💸 $80k ~ $92k⏰ 19-01-2023🌏 Maitland, New South Wales